Conflicting ports

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 09:32:52 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Adam Dershowitz <dersh at alum.mit.edu>wrote:

> In this case, I don't think that it is really a bug with a single port,
> but instead the relationship between a few: subversion, cyrus-sasl2,
> e2fsprogs, ext2fuse, kerberos5.  But, it seems like it is no longer
> possible to have subversion and ext2fuse installed at the same time.

The core problem here is that ext2 utilities contain a copy of com_err
lifted from the Kerberos source, which installs in the same place etc.  The
correct fix is to split com_err into its own library and then make
kerberos5, ext2fuse, e2fsprogs, etc. depend on it; Debian (and, I suspect,
most other Linux distributions) has already done this, possibly that work
could be borrowed.

As for your not having Kerberos installed, it used to be (and still is, on
Leopard and SL) possible to use the system Kerberos libraries, and
cyrus-sasl2 doing so is/was a bug because it breaks the build on Lion and
may cause other issues.

I don't know if there is a temporary workaround possible, aside from
ugliness like installing kerberos5, deactivating it, installing ext2fuse,
then activate --force kerberos5.