nvi: "./en_GB.UTF-8": no such file or directory" error

Jamie Paul Griffin jamie at kode5.net
Wed Jun 13 01:51:55 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 03:29:12AM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jun 13, 2012, at 02:59, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:
>
> > so there is no work around then? That is a shame. nvi is so much better than vim, i'll have to build it from source instead and hope it turns out better. Maintainers who submit ports that don't work as they should is annoying.
>
> We all do the best we can. MacPorts is a volunteer effort.
>

> On Jun 13, 2012, at 03:05, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:
>
> > Ryan, I see on the ticket there is a patch. I can't see anywhere on the Macports website that explains how I add the patch to the port. Can you, or someone else, briefly explain the process for adding patches to ports please?
>
> http://guide.macports.org/chunked/development.patches.html#development.patches.applying

I appreciate your efforts and all who contribute to the project but even so, broken ports are not really useful to anyone. Of course nothing is always perfect but that ticket has been outstanding for the best part of 2 years and as you said, the maintainer has just done nothing. It's not helpful to those of us using the macports system. Many of us don't know how to correct these issues ourselves and so are left without the software we need which kind of defeats the whole object of the project.

My comments may come across in a negative and ungrateful manner which is not my intention. I just wanted to make a point. But, thank you for following up on my post and i'll look at that link and try and fix it.

Best wishes,

Jamie.