stymied again on port dependent on texlive: lcdf-typetools

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 17:44:45 PDT 2012

On 6/15/12 6:53 PM, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
>> I don't understand how that would work: I thought lcdf-typetools depends on the libraries and/or binaries of either texlive or the Japanese version ptex of TeX.
>
> The texlive variant adds the texlive-bin dependency exclusively for kpathsea. If you don't use the variant, there is no dependency and texlive's kpathsea isn't used.
>
>>   variant texlive conflicts ptex description {Link against TeXLive's
>>                                               libkpathsea} {
>>     depends_lib-append port:texlive-bin
>>     configure.args-delete --without-kpathsea
>>     configure.args-append --with-kpathsea=${prefix}
>> }

Doesn't the portfile line

   default_variants +texlive

mean that variant is, in fact, selected by default?

When I executed lcdf-typetools, I discovered that macports was about to
install texlive-common. So evidently that variant is selected.

(i) How would one disable any variant whatsoever?

(ii) is kpathsea in fact needed to use the lcdf-typetools in order to
convert and install a font for use by TeX. (That's my whole purpose in
installing lcdf-typetools: to be able to use some OpenType fonts with
TeX, by converting them to Type 1 fonts.)

Murray Eisenberg                     murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
80 Fearing Street                    phone 413 549-1020 (H)
Amherst, MA 01002-1912