xmms from ports uses Disk Writer Plugin for audio output?

Jim Graham spooky130u at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 21:28:26 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 11:11:13PM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jun 18, 2012, at 22:38, Jim Graham wrote:
>
> > Ummmm, why is xmms, built using defaults from ports (current version as
> > of this morning), trying to use "Disk Writer Plugin 1.2.11 for its AUDIO
> > output plugin?
> >
> > It won't even let me change it.  Funny thing, too:  it's not playing any
> > music.  WTFO?  Any suggesions regarding how to get xmms working?
>
> What is "Disk Writer Plugin 1.2.11"?

I have no idea.  You tell me.

> Is that something you already have installed?

No.

> Where?

See first two above.

> Exactly what problem are you seeing?

xmms won't play because it can't use the above as an output plugin.

> Is there an error message? If so, could you tell us what it says?

First error (two pop up at the same time):

   Couldn't open audio

   Please check that

   Your soundcard is configured properly
   You have the correct output plugin selected
   No other program is blocking the soundcard
            [OK]

Second one:

            Error

   You cannot use the Disk Writer plugin
   when you're running in realtime mode
            [OK]

> What are the steps I would need to follow on my system to reproduce the problem you're seeing?

1) (as root):  port install xmms
2) (as normal user):  xmms &
   try to play an mp3
3) go to the main settings screen and try to configure the output device;
   Realize that you can't change the setting.

This, as I said in the first post, is with the current (2.1.1) version of MacPorts.

Do I have any other information to provide?  Not that I know of...unless
you want the specs for my Mac Mini (OS X Lion), 2.7 GHz dual-core i7, 8 GB
RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB audio card, etc.

Thanks,
   --jim

--
THE SCORE:  ME:  2  CANCER:  0
73 DE N5IAL (/4)          | "> There it was, right in the title bar:

Android Apps Listing at http://www.jstrack.org/barcodes.html