QPyNullVariant everywhere...

Rodolfo Zitellini xhero.gm at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 11:07:57 PDT 2012

Hi All,
I'm trying to run a pyqt software (frescobaldi,
http://frescobaldi.org/) in macos using macports. I have macports
2.1.1 on macosx 10.7.4, xcode 4.3.2 (qt 4.8.2, pyqt 4.9.1, sip 4.13.2,
for completeness).

My problem, it seems, is that object will never be null but only
QPyNullVariant. Eg.:

language = QSettings().value("language", "")
if language:
   #do stuff
else
  #fallback

language is never null: it is either the correct class or
QPyNullVariant (instead of null!), so it always tests true.
I'm asking this here in this list since with the old qt for mac 4.7 it
worked. I also tried the same software on linux, with qt 4.8.1 and
same pyqt/sip, and it works as is should (i.e. null and not
QPyNullVariant).

I initially suspected it could be a compilation configuration option,
but I could not find anything. Anyone han an idea of what I can be
doing wrong?

Thanks,
Rodolfo