expat 2.1.0 fails - compiler test is trying to make a Universal binary?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 08:33:55 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Greg Earle <earle at isolar.dyndns.org>wrote:

> Looks to me from the 'configure' logs (see below) that it's trying to build
> it as a Universal binary, when there is no PPC support on my system.

It's trying to build universal because there's no 64-bit Wine, so it needs
i386 support.  (Wine is very much x86 only, so it assumes universal_archs
lists only the x86 architectures.)  Unfortunately, as you say you migrated
from a PPC, your /opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf has universal_archs
set to consider universal to mean ppc and i386, or similar.

You need to change that to:

    universal_archs      i386 x86_64

While you're at it, you may want to check against the sample config
(macports.conf.default should be right next to macports.conf) and upgrade
any other settings that need to be changed.