Have I misunderstood what leaves are?

Sam Kuper sam.kuper at uclmail.net
Thu Jun 28 09:50:36 PDT 2012

On 28 June 2012 16:24, Lawrence Velázquez <larry.velazquez at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 28, 2012, at 11:18 a.m., Brandon Allbery wrote:
>> A leaf is an *unrequested* port without dependents, i.e. the unwanted dependencies left behind when you remove a port that you explicitly installed (and hence had the requested flag set).
>
> And a port is requested if you did "port install foo" or "port setrequested foo". Otherwise it's unrequested.

Thanks for the clarification, folks. My understanding was based upon
the first mentions of leaves in the MacPorts Guide, which describes
leaves simply as "nondependent ports".

It might be helpful for other users if the Guide introduced the
concept of leaves with the additional clarifications you've provided.

Thanks again,

Sam