Lion clean (from scratch) install, XCode 4.3 (4E109) + command-line tools and MacPorts-2.0.4-10.7-Lion - NO GO

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 20:23:20 PST 2012

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 23:06, Stefan <netfortius at gmail.com> wrote:

> Clean (from scratch) installation of Lion (10.7.3), followed by XCode
> 4.3 (4E109), followed by Command Line Tools install via XCode
> Preferences -> Downloads -> Components, followed by
> MacPorts-2.0.4-10.7-Lion.dmg -> pkg install, leads to:
>
> $ sudo port upgrade
> Warning: xcodebuild exists but failed to execute
> Can't map the URL 'file://.' to a port description file ("Could not
> find Portfile in /Users/my-username").

The other problem here is that "upgrade" without an argument will try to
update the port in the current directory.  If the current directory doesn't
have a Portfile in it, you will get that error.  If you're not a port
developer, you would normally specify a port to be upgraded, or "outdated"
to upgrade all installed ports that are out of date; but on a fresh install
you won't have any ports to upgrade anyway.

Did you want "sudo port selfupdate" there instead?

> $ echo $PATH
>
> /opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin
>
> $sudo su -
> #  port upgrade
> -sh: port: command not found

"su -" will give you root's default $PATH, which doesn't have
/opt/local/bin in it (and shouldn't; I would not mess with root's default
path on OS X, since I consider that account to "belong" to Apple and as
such is likely subject to unexpected modification by Apple Software
Update).  You almost certainly didn't intend to do that.  Probably "sudo
-s" was what you wanted.