WordNet environment variables

Daniel Ericsson deric at macports.org
Sun Mar 4 07:43:13 PST 2012

On 4 mar 2012, at 16:24, Sam Kuper wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Having installed WordNet using "sudo port install wordnet", I'm trying
> to learn to use it.

This is how I use it from the command-line:

$ wn ashes -over

Overview of noun ash

The noun ash has 3 senses (first 2 from tagged texts)

1. (2) ash -- (the residue that remains when something is burned)
2. (1) ash, ash tree -- (any of various deciduous pinnate-leaved ornamental or timber trees of the genus Fraxinus)
3. ash -- (strong elastic wood of any of various ash trees; used for furniture and tool handles and sporting goods such as baseball bats)

Overview of verb ash

The verb ash has 1 sense (no senses from tagged texts)

1. ash -- (convert into ashes)

> The man page accessed by entering "man wn" at the
> Terminal refers to the WNHOME and WNSEARCHDIR environment variables.
> However, neither "echo $WNHOME" nor "echo $WNSEARCHDIR" yields any
> result.

You shouldn't need to set those (I didn't), but if you do:

WNHOME=/opt/local/share/WordNet-3.0
WNSEARCHDIR=/opt/local/share/WordNet-3.0/dict

-- Daniel