Macports and Qt development

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Sun Mar 4 16:10:34 PST 2012

On 04/03/2012, at 11:00 PM, macports-users-request at lists.macosforge.org wrote:

> Hi! I would like to know if other Mac/Qt (optionally also Python) developers are having as many problems as I do.
>
> MacPorts installs Qt as a normal library, although there is a variant (non default) that will compile it as a OSX framework. That is fine for non developers, but I noticed that not having a framework is a nightmare if I want to debug my Qt apps. Some times I am forced to compile without debug info, other times my screen get full of warnings about missing symbols. In those cases I can debug my code if I filter out all the warnings I get with every debugger step.
>
> For some reason, lately I can no longer debug without thousand of warnings a hello world in qt. Something which could be fixed before with DYLD_IMAGE_SUFFIX=_debug
>
> Also I use a lot pyside and ipython, which do not compile if Qt was installed as a framework. Therefore it is hard to debug apps with them
>
> My solution so far is installing the official Qt binaries which are compiled as a framework. Since that is the official default, I suppose that is the reason I no longer have problems working with other Qt related tools such as Pyside and iPython gui.
>
> So the big question for MacPort users is: Do Qt developers manage their packages with MacPorts or just run away from it when there is something that involves Qt?

Your mail implies you'd install Qt via macports. Why would one do that instead of installing the Qt SDK ?
All the command line tools are available in the SDK (in fact I do not even know if qtbuilder works, I'm sure it does though.)

If you were installing a package that needed Qt would not macports install Qt as needed and transparently?

Again, pardon my ignorance, debug with a framework ??? ummm qDebug() and gdb ???

Thanks
James