How do I run py-spyder once installed?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 07:44:57 PST 2012

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 10:17, Andrew Mark <andrew.g.mark at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have what is hopefully a stupid and therefore easy question. I've
> installed the py-spyder port. The installation of the program and all
> its dependencies completed successfully. The install added several
> new things to Launcher, including a folder called MacPorts(other), but
> nothing that I can see for running Spyder. So, now that I've
> successfully installed Spyder, how do I run it?

Most programs in MacPorts don't use OS X app bundles, but instead run from
the command line, because they are straight ports of programs from FreeBSD
or Linux which aren't designed to work from bundles, and because MacPorts
originated in a command line culture (it's loosely based on FreeBSD ports).
 If you want an app bundle, you could install something like Platypus that
creates bundle wrappers for command line programs.