How to install qt4-mac and qt3-mac ?

Marko Käning MK-MacPorts at techno.ms
Mon Mar 12 01:16:13 PDT 2012

Hi Alexandre!

> I need to compile/resurrect an old project of mine, and it use qt3.
If you want to run Qt4 apps as well as Qt3 apps, you can not - as Brad wrote - install qt3-mac parallel to qt4-mac, instead you would have to set up parallel MacPorts installations with different prefixes in order to use one installation for Qt3 and the other one for Qt4.

Check out section

	2.3.4. Install Multiple MacPorts Copies   http://guide.macports.org/#installing.macports.source.multiple

in MacPorts' guide. That description, however, lacks the necessary changes to the environment variables. One would have to update the Guide according to this.
If you need help setting this up, let me know, I could send you a little bash script - originally suggested to me by Brad - which helps creating the needed environment.
I know there are also hints somewhere hidden in the Wiki, but I can't tell you where right now…
Sorry.
It's a little sad, but a fact, that the vast amount of documentation is scattered over 3 sources: man pages, wiki, and the Guide.
The more I write, the more I understand that the Guide needs the said update.

Greets,
Marko