gnuplot: question about wxWidgets(-devel) & Universal variants

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 11:22:49 PDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 01:46, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> How exactly should the code be written to enable compiling 64-bit
>> version of gnuplot with wxt terminal, without interfering with other
>> ports and without breaking functionality for 32-bit architectures?
>> Once/if that question is answered, I have a Portfile for the new
>> gnuplot 4.6 ready to be committed.
>
> The simplest solution for us would be for the developers of wxWidgets to finally release a stable 64-bit compatible version of their software. Then we could update the wxWidgets portfile to that version and remove all the 32-bit forcing in all the ports that do that.

However that probably won't happen for some time.

Would it be acceptable for a non-default option of gnuplot to simply
depend on wxWidgets-devel then? The version 2.9 also contains some
nice features that are missing in 2.8, so it's not just about type of
binary. (If necessary, there could be two options, one with wxWidgets
and one with wxWidgets-devel, but I don't really think that two
options are needed.)

I tried to create an update at
    https://trac.macports.org/ticket/33596

Mojca