Ruby problem

Phil Dobbin phildobbin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 13:01:08 PDT 2012

On 12/03/2012 21:00, Phil Dobbin wrote:
> On 10/03/2012 23:19, Phil Dobbin wrote:
>> On 10/03/2012 21:50, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

[snip]

>>> Something that is unrelated to MacPorts is happening.
>
>>> Installing a MacPorts port only installs files into
>>> /opt/local. It does not touch your environment. Just running
>>> node or most other programs should not alter your shell
>>> environment either.
>
>>> I don't know how rvm works, but it sounds like it's fragile.
>>> I'd talk to the developers of rvm for insight.
>

>> OK, I'll run it by Michael Papis on the rvm list.
>
> It was an rvm problem which has now been patched. It can be applied
> by pulling `rvm head` then `rvm reload` just in case anybody else
> is using it or are reading the archives late one night scouring
> the Internet with the same problem.

After spending some time with Michal working on this, we've discovered
that calling sudo either to selfupdate Mac Ports or to install a port,
$PATH is altered. See gist:

<https://gist.github.com/2037776>

The first call to `rvm info` is in a clean shell, just opened. The
second call is after `sudo port selfupdate` (the gist is pretty
self-explanatory).

Opening a new shell reverts the $PATH to how it is written in
bash_profile.

Cheers,

  Phil...

- --