problem upgrading pflogsumm

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Mar 14 14:41:28 PDT 2012

On Mar 14, 2012, at 12:05, Terry Barnum wrote:

> I tried to upgrade pflogsumm but it failed:
>
> Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error: /opt/local/bin/corelist is being used by the active perl5.8 port.  Please deactivate this port first, or use 'port -f activate p5.12-module-corelist' to force the activation.
> Log for p5.12-module-corelist is at: /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_perl_p5-module-corelist/p5.12-module-corelist/main.log
> Error: Problem while installing p5.12-module-corelist
>
> Running a 'port dependents perl5.8' shows:
> perl5 depends on perl5.8
> rsnapshot depends on perl5.8
>
> Sorry if this is a basic macports question, but won't deactivating perl5.8 break perl5 and rsnapshot?
>
> OSX 10.6.4, i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5664)

Looks like you haven't updated your ports in over a year; this is a very old problem by now. You need to upgrade perl5.8 first. Then you can upgrade your other ports.

sudo port upgrade perl5.8
sudo port upgrade outdated

In the future you may wish to upgrade your ports more frequently. We try to leave upgrade paths in place, but typically remove them after a year, so you should upgrade more frequently than once a year.

(This particular problem, however, never had a nice upgrade path: you always had to know to upgrade perl5.8 first manually.)