Ruby problem

Phillip Koebbe phillip.koebbe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 11:17:47 PDT 2012

On Mar 15, 2012, at 12:58 AM, Phil Dobbin wrote:

> So in summation, calling sudo with Mac Ports is going to clobber rvm
> in the present terminal & to get back to the normal state of things
> it's either close all terminal windows (with six tabs open they all
> get clobbered) & start a new session or either uninstall
> /opt/local/bin's Ruby or rvm.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Phil…

Hi Phil,

If I'm following along correctly (and I very well may not be), you're thinking that calling 'sudo port <something>' in one terminal session is causing problems with RVM in other terminal sessions. Is that correct?

As an experiment, I opened 4 terminal sessions, and in three of them switched to specific RVM gemsets and stayed in with system ruby in the fourth. In that fourth terminal session, I issued 'sudo port selfupdate', after which I checked the ruby version and RVM gemset (rvm current) of each of the other three terminal sessions, and in all three cases, everything was exactly as I expected it to be.

Is my experiment analogous to your situation?

Peace,
Phillip