openssl and openssh

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 10:11:22 PDT 2012

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 13:04, Jan Stary <hans at stare.cz> wrote:

> On Mar 15 22:21:12, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> > OpenSSL as a project desperately needs to be replaced with something
> sane.
>
> Replaced where? OpenSSL and OpenSSH are both intimately related to (and
> developed on) OpenBSD; there is no way they will 'replace' it with some
> other implementation.

Exactly.  So we're forever stuck with software that does not follow sane
versioning, and because it's security software its developers more or less
have the entire open source community over a barrel while they change
things in ways that regularly cause breakage for everyone else.  After all,
*they* don't need to care; it works for them, we're (the entire open source
community!) unwanted hangers-on.