Problem with Freetype 2.4.9 (ghostscript)

Florian Wobbe florian at eprofs.de
Tue Mar 20 09:30:59 PDT 2012

> > I upgraded to ghostscript 9.05 and freetype 2.4.9 recently  and get the following error whenever ghostscript is invoked:
> >
> > GPL Ghostscript 9.05: Error: Font Renderer Plugin ( FreeType ) return code = -1
> >
> > This seems like a recent problem after freetype went to 2.4.9 about a week ago; somebody was able to fix it by installing ghostscript-svn from AUR (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1072377). However, I have no idea as to how fix it for MacPorts. Any ideas?
>
> This was reported to me by private email as well. It's good to hear that the ghostscript developers have already fixed the problem; hopefully that means they will release a new version containing this fix soon, at which time we can update the ghostscript port to that new version.

I'm not sure whether the ghostscript developers are doing anything to resolve this: The mailing list you mention also states that you just hide the problem by using ghostscript-svn because that version uses freetype2 shipped with its sources but not the system one.

In fact, this has been the case with macports' ghostscript version 9.04 as that one used its own freetype and not the one provided by macports. With r89880 this changed.