ncurses breaks gawk trying to build py27-wxpython

Dave Curtis dave at dave-curtis.com
Tue Mar 20 10:39:43 PDT 2012

py27-wxpython is not building correctly for me.  I'm sure some more info is needed to make a good bug report, so I'll put out what I have and ask for the list to tell me what more is needed.

Mac OS X 10.6.8
port self updated a couple of days ago.

Problem: ncurses fails to build.
Something is calling for libiconv at 1.14_0+universal.  This version breaks gawk, as it provides version 7 and gawk requires version 8.  Selecting libiconv at 1.14_0 repairs gawk.

Here is command window output, I've added comments marked  {Like This}

-dave

david-curtiss-macbook:wxtab dave$ !635
sudo port install py27-wxpython
--->  Computing dependencies for libiconv
--->  Fetching archive for libiconv
--->  Attempting to fetch libiconv-1.14_0+universal.darwin_10.i386-ppc.tgz from http://packages.macports.org/libiconv
--->  Fetching libiconv
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for libiconv
--->  Extracting libiconv
--->  Applying patches to libiconv
--->  Configuring libiconv
--->  Building libiconv
--->  Staging libiconv into destroot
--->  Installing libiconv @1.14_0+universal
--->  Cleaning libiconv
--->  Deactivating libiconv @1.14_0
--->  Cleaning libiconv
--->  Activating libiconv @1.14_0+universal
--->  Cleaning libiconv
--->  Computing dependencies for ncurses
--->  Building ncurses
Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command failed (see log for details)
Log for ncurses is at: /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel_ncurses/ncurses/main.log
Error: Unable to upgrade port: 1
Error: Unable to execute port: upgrade python27 failed
To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>

{ If you inspect the log, you see that gawk is b0rked now, so the the build fails.  It fails trying to apply the patch, I think. }

{ We see gawk can't get off the ground. }

david-curtiss-macbook:wxtab dave$ gawk
dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
  Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/gawk
  Reason: Incompatible library version: gawk requires version 8.0.0 or later, but libiconv.2.dylib provides version 7.0.0
Trace/BPT trap

{ What libiconv is active? }

david-curtiss-macbook:wxtab dave$ port installed libiconv
  libiconv @1.13_0
  libiconv @1.13.1_0
  libiconv @1.14_0
  libiconv @1.14_0+universal (active)

{ Let's go back... }

david-curtiss-macbook:wxtab dave$ sudo port select libiconv at 1.14_0
Warning: Unable to get active selected version: The specified group 'libiconv at 1.14_0' does not exist.
Error: The 'list' command failed: The specified group 'libiconv at 1.14_0' does not exist.

{ WTF?  Am I seeing things? }

david-curtiss-macbook:wxtab dave$ port installed libiconv
  libiconv @1.13_0
  libiconv @1.13.1_0
  libiconv @1.14_0
  libiconv @1.14_0+universal (active)

{ Hmm.... }

david-curtiss-macbook:wxtab dave$ sudo port select libiconv at 1.14_0
Warning: Unable to get active selected version: The specified group 'libiconv at 1.14_0' does not exist.
Error: The 'list' command failed: The specified group 'libiconv at 1.14_0' does not exist.
david-curtiss-macbook:wxtab dave$ gawk
dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
  Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/gawk
  Reason: Incompatible library version: gawk requires version 8.0.0 or later, but libiconv.2.dylib provides version 7.0.0
Trace/BPT trap

{ When in doubt, force feed it with plumber's helper... }

david-curtiss-macbook:wxtab dave$ sudo port install libiconv at 1.14_0
--->  Deactivating libiconv @1.14_0+universal
--->  Cleaning libiconv
--->  Activating libiconv @1.14_0
--->  Cleaning libiconv

{ Better... }

david-curtiss-macbook:wxtab dave$ port installed libiconv
  libiconv @1.13_0
  libiconv @1.13.1_0
  libiconv @1.14_0 (active)
  libiconv @1.14_0+universal

{ And now gawk is happy again. }

david-curtiss-macbook:wxtab dave$ gawk
Usage: gawk [POSIX or GNU style options] -f progfile [--] file ...
Usage: gawk [POSIX or GNU style options] [--] 'program' file ...
POSIX options:		GNU long options:
	-f progfile		--file=progfile
	-F fs			--field-separator=fs

<snippage>

So I have a functional system again, but no wx-python.  I'm thinking that either the libiconv build is broken, or the dependency chain in py27-wxpython is not quite right.

-dave