ncurses breaks gawk trying to build py27-wxpython

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Mar 20 22:46:54 PDT 2012

On Mar 20, 2012, at 20:58, Dave Curtis wrote:

> On Mar 20, 2012, at 5:14 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> The short answer is that you need to rebuild libiconv +universal, or follow the Migration instructions if applicable. This has come up so often on the list and in the issue tracker since Snow Leopard's release three years ago that it's time for me to write a ProblemHotlist entry for it. I'll reply here again when I've written it.
>>
>> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/ProblemHotlist#libiconv-version
>>
> No joy. What else could be going on here?
>
> Why is there both a 1.14_0 and a 1.14_0+universal build of libiconv,

Because you probably originally had a non-universla libiconv, and now you're trying to install wxpython which requires a 32-bit build, therefore a universal build is being installed.

> and why does wxpython force the use of the +universal variant?    (As mentioned in my original post, the +universal variant seems to come in through ncurses)

wxpython does not support 64-bit. But Snow Leopard and later build 64-bit by default. So wxpython 32-bit cannot be installed when its dependencies such as libiconv are installed 64-bit only. Therefore MacPorts will rebuild all of wxpython's dependencies universal, on the assumption that your universal_archs are set to x86_64 and i386, which will result in a 32-bit and 64-bit universal build.

See next reply....