python 2.7, import wx says "wrong architecture"

Dave Curtis dave at dave-curtis.com
Thu Mar 22 08:51:41 PDT 2012

On Mar 22, 2012, at 1:15 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2012, at 02:59, Dave Curtis wrote:

>>> That idea occurred to me about 3 minutes ago, so it is cooking away at rebuilding dependencies +universal.
>>
>> And.... not quite.
>>
>> arch -i386 idle2.7
>>
>> now works!  But it appears to start a 64 bit version of Python in a 32 bit IDE, because when I
>>
>> import wx
>>
>> it gives me the "wrong arch" message.
>> How do I force 32 bit idle2.7 to start 32 bit python?
>> Or for that matter, shouldn't I be able to get 64 bit idle to start 32 bit python? That probably makes a little more sense.
>
> I'm afraid I don't even know what "idle" is, nor much about python at all.k

Idle is an IDE, done using Python's TK interface components.  It is the default IDE for Python that is more-or-less guaranteed to be present with Python.

I'm not familiar with the guts of it, but I presume it is picking up a Python through whatever pointer mechanism python-select uses -- again I'm not expert in the mechanics of that either.  I'll have to go research idle configuration settings.