noidle

Adam Dershowitz dersh at alum.mit.edu
Thu Mar 22 09:32:58 PDT 2012

On Mar 22, 2012, at 1:00 AM, Drechsel Wolf wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> frequently I noticed that my iMac G5 will go to sleep during a time extensive build (gcc45 at the moment).
>
> I googled and found some other people with that problem - and an easy solution:
>
>> #!/bin/bash
>> pmset noidle &
>> ... do the work here ...
>> kill %pmset
> Wouldnt it be smart to put the noidle command at the very beginning of any build script - and the kill %pmset at the very ending.
> I'd like the iMac to do the building - and then go to sleep after it's finished.
> Yours,

I don't agree that this is something that one would always want.  That is why the Energy Saver System Prefs allows users to set things how they want.  If you set it to noidle I believe that a laptop will run through batteries quickly and ignore the users setting in the prefs.
While I can understand why someone would want it that way, this should not be an across the board solution.  So, putting it in a script for yourself seems like a reasonable solution.

--Adam