What provides xcodebuild?

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Thu Mar 22 14:59:23 PDT 2012

In article
<CAKFCL4XvE5K2fSCWkxXf-91FcySO8tV9NNZ-eKUMdC+imnuv2g at mail.gmail.com>,
 Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
>     haral:6722 Z$ pkgutil --file-info =xcodebuild | grep pkgid
>     pkgid: com.apple.pkg.DeveloperToolsSystemSupportLeo
>     pkgid: com.apple.pkg.update.os.10.7.3.11D50b.combo
>
> The former is part of Xcode, the latter would be best obtained by
> downloading the latest combo updater from Apple.  (Is it me or did Apple
> confuse things rather badly by doing that?)

I think the idea is that xcodebuild et al are supposed to be independent
of the release of Xcode; they act as a wrapper and pointer to the
various Xcode versions since it is supported to have multiple versions
of Xcode installed on the same system (although only one version of the
command line tools active in /usr/bin at one time).  So rather than
having each version of Xcode supply duplicate copies of xcodebuild, it's
supplied with OS X itself;  that also means those commands are available
to query even if no Xcode is installed.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org