python 2.7, import wx says "wrong architecture"

Dave Curtis dave at dave-curtis.com
Thu Mar 22 16:31:14 PDT 2012

On Mar 22, 2012, at 12:57 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2012, at 10:51, Dave Curtis wrote:
>
>> Idle is an IDE, done using Python's TK interface components.  It is the default IDE for Python that is more-or-less guaranteed to be present with Python.
>>
>> I'm not familiar with the guts of it, but I presume it is picking up a Python through whatever pointer mechanism python-select uses -- again I'm not expert in the mechanics of that either.  I'll have to go research idle configuration settings.
>
> Hopefully idle does *not* pick up python via the version that the user selected; if it did, that would be a bug in the port that we would want to fix. idle should use the specific version of python that it is designed to work with.

This may well be a bug, but I'm not familiar enough with what is specified to happen to be able to say for sure.

To recap:

1. this appears to work:
arch i386 python2.7
import wx

2. this:
arch i386 idle2.7
import wx
has the same symptom as trying 'import wx' from 64 bit python.
In this case, idle2.7 is spinning up python as a separate process and talks to it over a socket.  So whatever mechanism is used to launch the python sub-process is, I suspect, not passing through arch i386

3. this:
archi i386 idle2.7 -n
import wx
appears to work.  In this case, idle is not starting a subprocess for python.

Not being familiar with the internals of idle, I can't say more.  So the questions are: How does idle choose/launch python? How should it?

-dave