MythTV port?

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Thu Mar 22 17:36:04 PDT 2012

On 22/03/2012, at 10:01 PM, macports-users-request at lists.macosforge.org wrote:

> I've been running MythTV on Mac OS X for a number of years.
> <http://www.mythtv.org/>  The core functionality is wonderful but the
> build and install process on Mac is pretty darn painful!
>
> A capsule summary for those of you not familiar.  MythTV is a digital
> video recording system with other components for DVD/BR videos,
> internet video, music, slide shows, etc.  There is a master backend
> that handles scheduling recordings and serving media to one or more
> frontends.  The master backend stores all its information in a MySQL
> database.  There can also be slave backends that provide additional
> TV tuners and storage.  The simplest configuration is a single
> machine running the master backend, MySQL database and frontend.
> MythTV is Linux-first with ports to Mac OS, Windows and BSD.  Lots of
> people run the backend on Linux with a mix of frontends.
>
> About 6 years ago, the backend was ported to Mac OS X when a couple
> of tuning methods became available on OS X (firewire and Silicon
> Dust's HDHomerun boxes).  Only the frontend had been available before
> that.  A MythTV-developed Perl script continued to be used to build a
> .app bundle--it was expanded to bundle the backend as well as the
> frontend.  The problem is that the backend is not a double-clickable
> Mac app.  The backend is a server process more akin to MySQL. MythTV
> is just about to release version 0.25 with a ton of interesting new
> features.
>
> Which leads me to MacPorts.  It occurs to me that using MacPorts to
> build and install the backend might make the process a lot easier and
> automate some of the tougher parts (installing a startupitem for the
> backend).  The hard part is that Myth is a pretty extensive
> application with a number of dependencies--Nokia's QT plus several
> libraries, MySQL, and some Perl modules just for the core system.
> I'm done some searching and I think MacPorts has existing ports for
> all the dependencies except two Perl modules.
>
> So, am I crazy?  I'm not a developer but I've been building my own
> MythTV system with the Perl script for some years.  I'd like to
> contribute to a better all-Mac MythTV experience but I would
> certainly need a bunch of help and support to get a functioning
> MacPorts port file.  Anybody else interested?

Greg I think that would be most marvellous but, and I've never *built* a port (as opposed to building a program with macports), mythtv is always changing so the port would need lots of ongoing maintainance.
The existing mac implementations seem to fix at a level eg 0.24, 0.24-1 and not tracking 0.24-fixes. ie http://avenard.org/files/mac/

Are you going to be the 'maintainer'? I'd definitely be a user

James