noidle

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Thu Mar 22 19:47:51 PDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 19:05, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> building something with MacPorts is not being idle.

I think this is debatable and would vary from user to user. At the
least I'd want a way to disable any noidle behavior.

> Note that video players like VLC and Apple's DVD Player probably also manipulate the power manager so the system doesn't go to sleep in the middle of a video.

I think this is a special case that's not exactly comparable. When
watching a video (fullscreen only?) the user shouldn't have to
continue to move the mouse so the display doesn't sleep.
I can certainly see the argument that a user would expect the
compilation task to be considered a noidle event, but it's not a slam
dunk in my mind. It would certainly be a nice feature (either through
macports.conf or as a flag).

That VLC can do this suggests that this behavior shouldn't require
sudo to accomplish.

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp b2c9d448