FOSS cross-platform data drive encryption

Sam Kuper sam.kuper at uclmail.net
Fri Mar 23 13:34:42 PDT 2012

On 23 March 2012 19:44, Daniel J. Luke <dluke at geeklair.net> wrote:
> On Mar 23, 2012, at 3:35 PM, Sam Kuper wrote:
>> Hm, it's not just the firmware that's in question. To use the Seagate
>> FDE drives on a Mac, one has to use "Seagate Secure" software, too,
>> which is proprietary:
>> http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/206011en#4 I haven't
>> yet been able to find any helpful information about the Hitachi
>> drives, but I suspect they're similar.
>

> Several of the 'hardware' solutions have been shown to have pretty serious flaws in their implementations as well (often easily recoverable keys and/or universal keys to enable data recovery).

I was under this impression too; thank you for corroborating it.
That's why I'd like a FOSS solution that has been thoroughly
scrutinised.

> This isn't exactly what you asked for, but something like encfs might work for you...

Ah, now that looks very interesting! Would I be right in thinking I
could use it to create folders that work like encrypted sparse images?
If so, then is is just the sort of thing I was hoping for :)

Thanks again,

Sam