port install wxwidgets on mnt lion fails

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Mar 24 02:56:21 PDT 2012

On Mar 24, 2012, at 04:00, Wahlstedt Jyrki wrote:

> On 23.3.2012, at 21.48, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Mar 22, 2012, at 21:45, Wes James wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to install wxwidgets on mtn lion.  It fails
>>
>> Not surprising at all, since we've had problems building wxWidgets since Snow Leopard already:
>>
>> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/20952
>>

>>> with this at
>>> the end of the log:
>>
>>> :info:build In file included from ../include/wx/mac/private.h:4,
>>> :info:build                  from ../src/common/dynlib.cpp:48:
>>> :info:build ../include/wx/mac/carbon/private.h:1459: error: ‘Cursor’
>>> does not name a type
>>> :info:build ../include/wx/mac/carbon/private.h:1488: error:
>>> ‘ClassicCursor’ does not name a type
>>
>> I think these are QuickDraw types; most of QuickDraw was removed in Lion already. (QuickDraw has been deprecated since Tiger.)
>>
>> The developers of wxWidgets need to update their software to be compatible with modern versions of OS X.
>>

> Yes,
> the file path says 'carbon', so this is probably 2.8.12 confined in 32-bit world

The problem that wxwidgets uses carbon and carbon is 32-bit only is #20952 which I mentioned above.

This is a new problem: Apple is actually *removing* Carbon APIs. In Mountain Lion, it seems, QuickDraw is not 32-bit only; it's absent. One could try setting the port to use the 10.7 SDK on 10.8. Or, if, as I believe I read somewhere, Carbon APIs already started disappearing in Lion, then try using the 10.6 SDK.