Is this a bug in RVM or MacPorts?

Phil Dobbin phildobbin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 08:03:48 PDT 2012

On 25/03/2012 15:30, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 19:59, Behrang Saeedzadeh
> <behrangsa at gmail.com <mailto:behrangsa at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I am talking about Ruby Version Manager. The reason I brought up
> this discussion was to see where's the correct place to set the
> path for MacPorts, ~/.profile or ~/.bash_profile, as the latest
> version of RVM creates ~/.bash_profile and was causing ~/.profile
> not to get sourced for me anymore.
>

> RVM has apparently decided that Bash is the only shell they ever
> need to support.
>
> MacPorts supports any Bourne shell derivative, which is why it
> uses the standard ~/.profile; by your report, RVM uses
> bash-specific startup files.  I would say theirs is the bug, or at
> least the infelicity (being a zsh user).

Slightly unfair sweeping generalisations apart, if you look at rvm's
source code:

<https://github.com/wayneeseguin/rvm.git>

it's written in bash to a great extent but fully supports zsh.

As I posted earlier (last night) Mac Ports & rvm are at odds in the
profile files. Funnily enough perlbrew, which I also use for my perl
distributions (it only deals with Perl & is not to be confused with
homebrew), does not have this problem. It places a line in
.bash_profile to source a long & thorough script in .bashrc for its
tweaking of your $PATH.

As I also commented in my last post, I have only the problem now of
when sourcing my bash_profile in an already open window, Mac Ports
addition takes preference over rvm's addition (I also have a Ruby
installed by Mac Ports) & I can live with that.

Unless some accommodation is made between the two additions, I believe
this is the way it will stay. No big deal.

Cheers,

  Phil...

- --
But masters, remember that I am an ass.