spe for Python 2.7? -> getting closure on a patch

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Mon Mar 26 19:14:10 PDT 2012

In article <AC8ECFC7-5AFF-4ED9-AD5D-798939A07A28 at dave-curtis.com>,
 Dave Curtis <dave at dave-curtis.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately, my 'invoke Python via arch i386' patch will break on PPC.
> Ryan suggests below that one way to fix this is to turn off the universal
> variant.  That seems to me to be the best solution -- are there large numbers
> of people that will care about having an i386/ppc universal build of SPE?
> I'm guessing not.

On 10.4 through 10.6 systems (I believe - tested for sure on 10.5), the
arch command takes multiple arch values and uses the first applicable
one.  So "arch -i386 -ppc /path/to/exectable" may do what you want.  The
10.7 version of arch also accepts multiple archs but it emits the
message "warning: unsupported architecture: ppc".  OTOH, the 10.7 arch
has "-32" and "-64" arguments which work as expected.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org