Potential disruption to MacPorts domain registration

Jan Stary hans at stare.cz
Thu Mar 29 12:04:34 PDT 2012

On Mar 29 09:53:02, James Berry wrote:
> It would be best to transfer to another registrar asap, but we are unable to do so because:
>
>  (1) Our domain is currently under registrar lock because, according to GKG policies, it is within a 60-day period following renewal.
>
>  (2) Pending resolution of our current dispute, they may decide unilaterally to further extend this registrar lock, effectively holding our domains hostage.

They sure sound like a very shitty registrar.

If I read their pricing right, the amount in question is not that much,
ad the dispute is more a matter of principle (as in "not to be fucked
with"); I sympathize with that.

If the above really canot be worked around, I suggest you pay
for the unwanted services, move to another registrar once the
domain is unlocked, and taking inspiration from
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=orbitz_blows
use the powers of teh interwebz to make this the most expensive
dollars they have ever made.

(For example, those of us users of macports.org who
work in the webhosting bussiness could let gkg.net know
about the thousands of domains they will never have in their portfolio,
and the hundreds of domains we are moving to other registrars right now.)

BTW, reading the whois for the domain, I see that
Apple is the technical contact for the domain and
runs the nameservers for it. What exactly is the
relation of macports to Apple as a corporation?

	Jan