Potential disruption to MacPorts domain registration

Sam Kuper sam.kuper at uclmail.net
Thu Mar 29 20:24:36 PDT 2012

On 29 March 2012 20:11, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
> On Mar 29, 2012, at 14:04, Jan Stary wrote:
> > What exactly is the
> > relation of macports to Apple as a corporation?
>
> http://trac.macports.org/wiki/MacPortsHistory

This is helpful but not very detailed. It doesn't clearly explain how
much involvement, if any, Apple has had since this email was sent[1],
in which is was written that, 'James Berry, a member of the
DarwinPorts steering committee says: "We are pleased that by offering
us hosting and administrative support services, Apple continues to
demonstrate its strong commitment to the open source community. That
support is vital to our project."

If Apple is still providing hosting and administrative support
services, perhaps they could intervene
(legally/financially/technologically) to ensure that there is no
disruption to the Macports project because of gkg.net's shameful
intransigence. If so, who would be the right person to contact at
Apple, to bring this to Apple's attention? Is there still a
DarwinPorts/MacPorts steering committee?

Does anyone here have time to look over
http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registrars/registrant-rights-responsibilities
and/or related documents for any applicable clauses that might
disallow registrars from acting as gkg.net has done? Might be
worthwhile.

Sam

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.opendarwin.darwinports/18725