nagios postfix

Phil Dobbin phildobbin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 00:08:10 PDT 2012

On 30/03/2012 05:42, Niels Dettenbach (Syndicat IT&Internet) wrote:

> Phil Dobbin <phildobbin at gmail.com> schrieb:
>
>> setting up mutt on OS X & intend to do the same. Can I substitute
>> msmtp for postfix when using nagios does anybody know? msmtp is a
>> far easier beast to deal with than postfix & I'd rather avoid
>> postfix unless it's necessary.
>
> I did not know msmtp in detail, but nagios did not need a full MTA
> or MDA - it just requires any MUA for sending mail like "mail",
> ssmtp, "mutt", pine or whatever too is able for sending mail from
> command line. Not shure why so many users are installing a large
> and complex MTA suite when they only need a little, small MUA -
> this mainly leads to many crap and problems within internet email
> networks.
>
> But you can configure notification commands completely byself in
> another way too within nagios' commands config.
>
> hth good luck!

Hi, Niels.

It certainly does help :-).

As you say, cranking up large structures like postfix, procmail, etc
just to basically send a few emails is not desirable if one can help
it. msmtp is a splendid program (available on Mac Ports I found too)
which is more than adequate for my needs at present.

Thanks for your help,

Cheers,

  Phil...

- --