mysql5 and mysql51

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Fri May 4 19:24:02 PDT 2012

On May 4, 2012, at 6:53 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On May 4, 2012, at 20:13, Terry Barnum wrote:
>
>> The mysql variants for postfix are mysql51 or mysql55. I installed postfix +mysql51 which installed mysql5.1.62_1. Dovecot variants are mysql5 and mysql55. Installing dovecot2 +mysql5 which is installing mysql5.1.62_0.
>>
>> port installed shows:
>>
>> mysql5 @5.1.62_0 (active)
>> mysql51 @5.1.62_1 (active)
>>
>> What's the correct way to solve this?
>
> We need to update all ports that use mysql to have mysql51 and mysql55 variants, and then deprecate the mysql5 port. This is an ongoing process.

Yes, it would be better to leave all the mysql5 variants in place until we can make the change in mass.

Terry, what ports do you have installed that depend on mysql?

Switching to mysql51 for both dovecot2 and postfix should be a small change. You might have to tell dovecot and postfix where to find the mysql51 socket
and you will probably need to tell mysql51 where your databases are.

The default location for datadir is /opt/local/var/db/{msyql5,mysql51}. Personally I use a different directory which I set in /opt/local/etc/{mysql5,mysql51}/my.cnf.

In my.cnf if you set the socket and datadir locations to the same as mysql5 everything should just work.

You can probably get away with installing mysql51 and coping your mysql5 my.cnf file over mysql55's my.cnf file.

$ sudo cp /opt/local/etc/{mysql5,mysql51}/my.cnf

And then look through the new my.cnf for any paths you may want to adjust.

Then stop mysql5 and start mysql55.
$ sudo port unload mysql5
$ sudo port load mysql51

Regards,