Unable to open port: can't read "startupitem.install"

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Fri May 4 21:23:44 PDT 2012

Every time I go to do something serious in "sudo port" I get the message
"Error: Unable to open port: can't read "startupitem.install": no such variable"

I have OS X 10.7.3 Lion and XCode 4.2.1.  Macports is currently at 2.0.4.

The problem started after command 511 in the (annotated) sequence below.  I should
have done "sudo port upgrade outdated" sooner, I know, but now everything is broken.

  499  port info kdegames4 # Ran OK
  500  port info qt4-mac # Ran OK
  501  sudo port -v uninstall kdegames4 # Needed a version number
  502  sudo port -v uninstall kdegames4 @4.7.4_0 # Ran OK
  503  sudo port selfupdate # Ran OK
  504  port info qt4-mac # Ran OK
  505  port uninstall kdegames4 @4.8.1_0 # Forgot sudo
  506  sudo port -v uninstall kdegames4 @4.8.1_0 # Ran OK
  507  port installed qt4-mac # Ran OK
  508  port uninstall qt4-mac @4.7.4_1 # Forgot sudo again
  509  sudo port uninstall qt4-mac @4.7.4_1 # Needed variants
  510  sudo port uninstall qt4-mac @4.7.4_1 +mysql +quartz # Failed - lots of dependents, decided not to proceed with it
  511  sudo port -v install kdegames4 @4.8.1_0 +docs # Downloaded and built some dependents, but failed after:

x ./opt/local/bin/gresource
x ./opt/local/bin/gsettings
x ./opt/local/bin/gtester
x ./opt/local/bin/gtester-report
--->  Cleaning glib2
--->  Removing work directory for glib2
Error: Unable to open port: can't read "startupitem.install": no such variable
Error: Unable to execute port: upgrade automoc failed

  512  sudo port -v clean all # Ran OK for a while, but finished at:

--->  Cleaning dbslayer
--->  Removing work directory for dbslayer
--->  Cleaning dbtool
--->  Removing work directory for dbtool
Error: Unable to open port: can't read "startupitem.install": no such variable

  513  sudo port upgrade outdated # Remembered this, but too late? Got same "Unable to open port…" message.
  514  port help # Ran OK
  515  man port # Ran OK
  516  port info kdegames4 # Ran OK
  517  sudo port info kdegames4 # Ran OK

Tara:~>sudo port upgrade outdated # Failed again.
Error: Unable to open port: can't read "startupitem.install": no such variable

Hope you can help, Ian W.