still can't get gimp to work under macports....

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun May 6 22:06:09 PDT 2012

On 07/05/2012, at 2:06 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On May 6, 2012, at 21:47, Ian Wadham wrote:
>> I did "sudo port -v self update" ( I hope this got the patch OK),
>
> I hope you mean "sudo port -v self update"

Yeah, accursed Apple Mail spell-checker-and-"helpful"-rewriter-of-
what-you-wrote-when-you-are-not-looking …  I must turn it off some
time …  It keeps changing dbus to dubs as well … :-(

>> then "sudo port install dbus",
>> which produced the attached log,
>
> Ok, the transcript you attached showed you successfully running selfupdate, then using "port list outdated"—see...
>
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ?#portlist
>
> ...for why that's probably not what you want)—then successfully installing dbus but encountering this error during dbus activation
>
> Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: could not set owner for file "/Library/LaunchAgents/org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist": no such file or directory
>
> So I guess we haven't fixed the problem after all.
>
>> So how do I get back to where I was before I did "port selfupdate" to macports 2.0.4 yesterday
>> and struck the "Unable to open port: can't read "startupitem.install"" bug?
>
> Until Jeremy or someone figures out and commits the real fix, you can always use...
>
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/InstallingOlderPort

I used "sudo port activate dbus @1.4.18_0" which restored the missing files.
After re-booting, kdeinit4 started up OK (as I have set it up to do on re-boot)
and now all my Qt and KDE apps are running OK again.  I also have the
online manuals (+docs variant), which was the initial objective of my upgrade.

Thanks, Ryan, you are a hero!

Cheers, Ian W.