still can't get gimp to work under macports....

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun May 6 22:30:39 PDT 2012

On 07/05/2012, at 2:47 PM, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

> On May 6, 2012, at 7:50 PM, Ian Wadham wrote:
>

>> On 07/05/2012, at 9:56 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>> dbus is a way for programs to talk to one another. For that to work, dbus-session must be loaded, but by selecting the no_startupitem variant, you've instructed MacPorts to not provide a means to load that program. So that won't work.
>>>
>>> "sudo port selfupdate" to make sure you have the latest port definitions in which the recent dbus problems were resolved. Then "sudo port install dbus" to reinstall dbus with its default variants (i.e. not using the +no_startupitem variant). Then follow the instructions it will print for loading dbus-session. Then programs like gimp that use dbus should work.
>>
>> Sorry, I forgot the attachment to my last email.
>
> What version or port are you running?

Mac OS X 10.7.3 Lion, Macports 2.0.4 and XCode 4.2.1.

When I did a "sudo port -v selfupdate" yesterday that is the
Macports I got, but I also got the message:
    "Unable to open port: can't read "startupitem.install""
when attempting to upgrade and I think I was the first to
report it (via email and Ryan raised a ticket).

I managed to compile everything I wanted to by using:
   "sudo port upgrade dbus +no_startupitem"
but, after shutting down my machine and later re-booting,
I found that dbus was no longer working and was missing
the files required to start it (i.e. dbus  @1.4.20_0), even after
doing another selfupdate to install the patch.

So, just for now, I have reverted to dbus  @1.4.18_0 and
everything is again working fine, including my upgrades
to KDE 4 and kdegames4.  I guess they are not fussed over
which version of dbus they have, just as long as it is running …

> Do you have "startupitem.install no" in prefix/etc/macports/macports.conf?

No.  No such symbol as "startupitem.install", but that is with dbus  @1.4.18_0.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Ian W.