Google Fonts in Gimp

Jasper Frumau jasperfrumau at gmail.com
Thu May 10 18:52:47 PDT 2012

> Assuming the font files are located in a normal OS X font directory,
> perhaps fontconfig just needs to rebuild its index of fonts? You can rerun
> fc-cache manually, or deactivate and then reactivate the fontconfig port
> which should do it correctly for you.

Thanks for this help. Did not think about this and did not know how to
update fontconfig. I forced a deactivate and activated it again:

 sudo port -f deactivate fontconfig
--->  Deactivating fontconfig @2.9.0_1+universal
--->  Unable to deactivate fontconfig @2.9.0_1+universal, the following
ports depend on it:
--->   cairo @1.12.2_0+universal+x11
--->   gd2 @2.0.35_12
--->   ghostscript @9.05_2
--->   graphviz @2.28.0_3
--->   ImageMagick @6.7.6-7_0+q16
--->   libglade2 @2.6.4_4
--->   librsvg @2.34.2_1
--->   poppler @0.18.4_4
--->   tk @8.5.11_0
--->   urw-fonts @1.0.7pre44_0
--->   wine @1.4_2
--->   Xft2 @2.3.0_0+universal
Warning: Deactivate forced.  Proceeding despite dependencies.
--->  Cleaning fontconfig
jaspersmbp:fonts jasper$ cd
jaspersmbp:~ jasper$ sudo port activate fontconfig
--->  The following versions of fontconfig are currently installed:
--->      fontconfig @2.8.0_0+universal
--->      fontconfig @2.9.0_1+universal
Error: port activate failed: Registry error: Please specify the full
version as recorded in the port registry.
jaspersmbp:~ jasper$ sudo port activate fontconfig @2.9.0_1+universal
--->  Computing dependencies for fontconfig
--->  Activating fontconfig @2.9.0_1+universal
--->  Cleaning fontconfig

When I opened up Gimp again the added fonts were not there. Not sure how to
run fc-cache. I did:

(gimp:3898): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
 Using the fallback 'C' locale.
Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "/tmp/launch-J0QgV5/org.x:0".
lcms: skipping conversion because profiles seem to be equal:
 sRGB IEC61966-2.1
 sRGB built-in
jaspersmbp:~ jasper$ fc-cache
jaspersmbp:~ jasper$ gimp

(gimp:4080): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
 Using the fallback 'C' locale.
Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "/tmp/launch-J0QgV5/org.x:0".
lcms: skipping conversion because profiles seem to be equal:
 sRGB IEC61966-2.1
 sRGB built-in

but still did not see the new fonts..