Restore from backup

Adam Dershowitz dersh at alum.mit.edu
Tue May 15 22:28:39 PDT 2012

I have macports, with many ports installed.
I had my harddrive fail, but have a recent timemachine backup.
But, when I tried to restore, after a fresh OS install, at first when I clicked transfer, nothing would happen.  I finally opened the users that timemachine had selected to restore.  Several of these users were listed as "this user data doesn't need to be transferred". When I unselected those it was then willing to do my restore.  (I was very nervous for a while!)
Those users,also showed as 0kb of data.   The names were: avahi,macports, messagebus, and polkituser.   I believe that these were all user accounts created by macports.  I think that since they are just names, with no data, that is what "confused" timemachine restore.   But timemachine should still restore all of macports.
My question is what I need to do to get the ports to again function.  I assume that macports will not work once my restore is done (still a few hours) since those user accounts will be missing.
I know that I could blow away my whole install of macports,but then I will have to rebuild all my ports, which will take a long time, and defeat the purpose of having a backup.
So, is it possible to just create those users?  If so, what should I do to get them created?

Thanks,

--Adam