Restore from backup

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed May 16 11:03:56 PDT 2012

On May 16, 2012, at 11:37, Adam Dershowitz wrote:

> And, I have another problem, that is only partially related to macports, but figured I would ask.
> When I went to install macports 2.1, it complained that I didn't have xcode installed.  I checked, and while my developer folder is present, and seems correct, after my restore, it seems like that command line tools are not present.  At least if I do gcc, nothing happens (same with which gcc).
> Any idea if that is just a missing link, or something else?  I started download xcode_3.2.5 again, but it is going to take a bunch of hours, so figured I would ask if anyone has an easier solution, since clearly most, if not all, of xcode is already installed.  It seems that there might be an easier way, short of the full reinstall of xcode.

You didn't mention your version of OS X, but Xcode 3.2.5 is for Snow Leopard. If that's the OS you have, you may as well get the latest free version of Xcode for Snow Leopard, which is 3.2.6. (4.0, 4.1, and 4.2 were also available at some point, but required paid Apple Developer Connection memberships.)

I don't know what happens with regard to Xcode when you restore a system from backup, and if it's not working for you after doing so, I wouldn't really care to speculate. Just reinstall Xcode properly, as per the MacPorts installation instructions, and it should be fine.