[enhancement] proposal - make all ports independent of which version of Perl is installed or the major one

Bjarne D Mathiesen macintosh at mathiesen.info
Wed May 23 12:07:58 PDT 2012

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2012-May/019336.html
http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2012-May/019338.html

It's now been almost a week with no activity in this thread
and no resolution in sight as to what we do as a group.

Presently, Perl 5.16.0 has just been released, and the maintainer of the
main perl ports hasn't reacted at all in this thread.

I've done the preliminary work in bringing Perl 5.16 into MacPorts in
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/34570
Presently, I can't get my perl5.16 port to generate the sub-ports ... I
simply don't know enough to see what's wrong with my approach, but my
present assumption is that it's because I'm copying my modified
_resources/port1.0/group/perl5-1.0.tcl file into place instead of
getting it from a repo.

Now, we do have 96 ports that have perl5.12 hardcoded into them.
That means, that they are presently 2 (two) years behind schedule as I
see it.

If we don't come to a resolution as a group, I'll just implement my own
solution and post my procedure here on the lists for other interested
parties should they be interested.

:-)
--
Bjarne D Mathiesen