mysql55 up and running on production

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed May 23 17:23:20 PDT 2012

On May 23, 2012, at 18:39, Watch Dog wrote:

> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

>>> Ah, yes, pixilla.  Commit w/o testing, again.  Maybe time to
>>> reconsider commit privileges?
>>
>> We're all entitled to make a mistake every once in awhile. Bradley's commit privileges are not getting revoked anytime soon. I'm very grateful to Bradley for volunteering to take over the MySQL ports from me, for his work on the almost 700 other ports he maintains, and for everything else he does for MacPorts. Remember that we're volunteers here, and all we ask in return for our work on MacPorts is a little patience and occasional appreciation. Cooperation is great too: If you know how to fix #34552, by all means attach a patch to that ticket.
>
> Mistakes are one thing.  But this was a change to a working port and
> the change broke a "normal install" of the port.  So it seems a safe
> bet that the change was not tested adequately (maybe not at all).
>
> Being a "volunteer" should not be equated with being unaccountable.
>
> How to fix: revert until a proper fix is available.  Putting such an
> important port in a broken state is not nice.

It should be noted that mysql55 is a new port. It did not exist until two months ago. So I do not consider breakage in this port to be a catastrophe at this point. If the build fails for you, then you can simply continue using the previous version that you built. We are still in a transition period, from the old mysql5 port to the new mysql51 / mysql55 ports. Most users are expected to still be using the old mysql5 port, since that's what most of the other ports that require MySQL are still depending on. Bradley is in the process of preparing updates to all of those ports so that they can depend on either mysql51 or mysql55. Once that's done, the old mysql5 port will be deprecated and a proper migration path (via the replaced_by mechanism) will be available. Until then, users use mysql55 at their own risk. Of course, as Jeremy pointed out, users always use all of MacPorts at their own risk.

This particular change Bradley made was of course made with the best intentions, that of getting the mysql55 port to be "distributable"—meaning that it and all of its dependencies are in license harmony and we are thus legally permitted to distribute a binary of it, thus making installation very quick, instead of having to wait for things to compile. Bradley explained in the ticket that this result was successfully achieved on his own system and by the buildbot. Meanwhile it failed to build on my system, on yours, and for some other users. Bradley is currently trying to isolate what's different between these systems to see how to fix it. Just as any of us would try to investigate why any other problem occurs.