Using Macports to distribute custom software?

Tomáš Znamenáček tomas.znamenacek at gmail.com
Tue May 29 02:40:03 PDT 2012

Hello!

We have some in-house tools I’d like to distribute to our machines. It seems to me like a good idea to use Macports for this, ie. create a custom package with our tools, upload it on our server and add the server into sources.conf. The Macports support is nearly there, at least the support for local portfile repositories looks quite promising for what I need.

My questions: 1) Can I simply add another rsync:// line before the macports.org one, will the ports get picked up by the local Macports installation? And more importantly, 2) is it possible to somehow switch to rsync over ssh for this one source? I can’t use regular rsync as we can’t let strangers install our custom tools.

Thank you,
Tomáš Znamenáček

--
Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent
if no birds sang there except those that sang best. –Henry Van Dyke