Installing asymptote

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Tue May 29 10:25:25 PDT 2012

Question: Can I install the asymptote port without having the automatic
installation of its dependency texlive?

I already have the complete texlive installed directly, without
MacPorts, using the MacTeX distribution. I want to keep the latter, and
I certainly don't want to have yet another texlive installation.

Can this be done by some edit in the asymptote Portfile to eliminate
mention of that dependency?

After the edit, when I run "sudo port install asymptote", will my
pre-existing installation of texlive be found? (Note that the texlive
files are in the usual locations.)

Reason for question: Given that I already had texlive installed (but not
through MacPorts), I tried installing the asymptote binary obtained
directly from http://asymptote.sourceforge.net/. But when I run the xasy
command, I get a pop-up saying that the PIL (Python Imaging Library)
Imaging-1.1.7 is required. And trying to install PIL leads to a further
chain of dependencies which seems like more trouble than should be
necessary.

Murray Eisenberg                     murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
80 Fearing Street                    phone 413 549-1020 (H)
Amherst, MA 01002-1912