Installing asymptote

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 29 12:51:10 PDT 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 8:45 PM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> On 5/29/12 1:51 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>> Completely off-topic and it doesn't answer your question, but
>> asymptote is already part of MacTeX. Is anything wrong with that one
>> (maybe it doesn't have enough "sugars" / library dependencies)?
>
> Not at all OT! Where are the asymptote binaries from MacTeX, and do they
> include the X-windows xasy executable, too -- and its library dependencies?

The binaries for asymptote are at the same place where all the others
(/usr/locate/texlive/201[012]/bin/(universal|x86_64)-darwin/,
symlinked in /usr/texbin). If you didn't install it (if you installed
just BasicTeX for example), then you could install it with "tlmgr
install asymptote" or with TeX Live Utility. You can get the latest
MacTeX from one of tlpretest servers on
    http://www.tug.org/texlive/pretest.html
but the version of asymptote has not yet changed since 2011.

xasy doesn't seem to be an executable, but rather a python script and
it seems to me that the only requirements come from python's Tkinters.

I tried to install py27-tkinter, then xasy complained that PIL is
missing, so I installed py27-pil and it worked from then on, but only
with X11 (a bit ugly for my taste, but it does the job). Then I tried
running xasy with /usr/bin/python2.7 which fired up an Aqua interface,
but sadly with an error: "An error occurred loading the required PIL
library. Please install
http://effbot.org/downloads/Imaging-1.1.7.tar.gz". There is a mac
package on that website, but I didn't actually try it out.

So basically all you need is a working python with tkinter and PIL,
but you can install those with MacPorts independently from asymptote
compilation. (The only question that comes to my mind is why MacPorts
is only shipping X11 variant of Tkinter.)

Library dependencies of asymptote from MacTeX:

> otool -L asy
asy:
	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 125.2.11)
	/usr/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.2.3)
	/usr/lib/libncurses.5.4.dylib (compatibility version 5.4.0, current
version 5.4.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/GLUT.framework/Versions/A/GLUT
(compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/OpenGL
(compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/Cocoa.framework/Versions/A/Cocoa
(compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 15.0.0)
	/usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 7.9.0)

Mojca