Ruby ... active user sought

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed May 30 07:17:32 PDT 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 10:03 AM, Bjarne D Mathiesen <
macintosh at mathiesen.info> wrote:

> Brandon Allbery wrote:
> > On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 5:45 AM, Bjarne D Mathiesen
> > <macintosh at mathiesen.info <mailto:macintosh at mathiesen.info>> wrote:
> >
> >     I've found this :
> >     https://github.com/opscode-cookbooks/apache2
> >
> > I think you do not want to naively mix Chef and MacPorts, especially
> > with a package that does not have any OS X support (much less MacPorts).
>
> So ... you'ld recommend replicating it in tcl or bash ???

I am not sure what you think you are trying to do.  But your message
implied that you believe you've found some useful Ruby utilities.

You haven't.  They are Ruby, but they are plugins for a system management
framework called Chef; they are not useful by themselves, only as
components of that framework.  You can't use them at all without
configuring a Chef installation; and it doesn't look like there's a lot of
support for MacPorts so using it to manage anything installed by MacPorts
may ultimately result in your needing to teach Chef how to deal with
MacPorts as a package provider.

At least Chef supports OS X; I had thought it was still stuck in
Linux-land.  But the Apache recipes you pointed to do not list OS X support
at all, so your first hurdle would be porting those recipes to control
MacPorts' Apache.  Their FreeBSD recipe might serve as a starting point —
assuming there is some compatibility between their freebsd and macosx
cookbooks.  (This is less about Ruby than it is about understanding how to
maintain platforms and how to adapt between somewhat similar platforms.)