'port -qv installed' returns empty list

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Wed May 30 09:12:38 PDT 2012

> I have upgraded from OS-X 10.5 to 10.6 and I am now trying to follow the instructions for migrating MacPorts to a new version (https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration)

You should get the list of installed files before clobbering MacPorts. That's step 1, but the header for that section in the wiki does appear to be misleading. In between steps 3 and 4 are when you should clobber/upgrade MacPorts.

We should make the wiki more clear.

> I first installed the base MacPorts system again and compared the various conf files with their conf.default (no differences). Then I tried to reinstall my old ports but when I do the first step (port -qv installed > myports.txt), the resulting myports.txt file is empty.
>
> I don't know what causes it to be empty (I had to restore my time machine backup during the OS-X upgrade, or perhaps it is the 'sudo port -v selfupdate' I executed) but my intention is to see if I can still retrieve this information from a time machine backup. However I don't know where this information is stored.
>
> So therefore I want to know: in which file does MacPorts store which packages are installed?

It's a sqlite db file, likely in /opt/local/var/macports/ but also requires the archives of installed software to be in place. You're best bet is to restore all of /opt/local/var/macports, get the list of files, and then reinstall base MacPorts and do the install.