'port -qv installed' returns empty list

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed May 30 09:18:54 PDT 2012

On May 30, 2012, at 11:12, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

>> I have upgraded from OS-X 10.5 to 10.6 and I am now trying to follow the instructions for migrating MacPorts to a new version (https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration)
>
> You should get the list of installed files before clobbering MacPorts. That's step 1, but the header for that section in the wiki does appear to be misleading. In between steps 3 and 4 are when you should clobber/upgrade MacPorts.
>
> We should make the wiki more clear.

The wiki is correct the way it is: first you upgrade OS X, then you upgrade Xcode, then you upgrade / reinstall MacPorts, then you get the list of installed ports. You could also get the list of installed ports before you upgrade OS X, but usually people have already upgraded OS X by the time they get to reading the instructions.

I'm not sure why in Pepijn's case he's getting an empty list of installed ports. That should not happen.