macports without XCode

Federico Calboli f.calboli at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 06:11:56 PST 2012

On 7 Nov 2012, at 14:06, Jeremy Lavergne <jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org> wrote:

>> Which packages if I can ask?  because they might be packages that I do not want nor need.
>
> I grepped to find 148 packages using our xcode includes explicitly (xcode.*1\.0). There may be more that were manually built without using our PortGroup files.

Unless these packages are essential to using macports, and thus unavoidable, 148 packages are a trivial percentage of the packages provided by macports.  Couldn't I just avoid them altogether?

>> How so?  I would have imagined it's the CLT that make the difference, after all they mast be installed for macports.
>
> ...and Xcode must also be installed.
>
> We do version detection using `xcodebuild -version` (see zlib for an example). We would need an alternative to this if it's not installed.

That's fine, and as I said I accept the space penalty of having to have Xcode, but I fail to see why the versioning could not be done on clang or llvm (or whatever thing is in the CLT package that could be used for this)

BW

Federico Calboli
f.calboli at gmail.com