How to revert to Postfix 2.5.5 on Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.11?

Christopher Rasch crasch at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 10:12:40 PST 2012

Hi,

tldr:  Upgraded to Postfix 2.9.4 on Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.9.  Need to
revert back to Postfix 2.5.5, having troubles.

I recently upgraded Postfix 2.1.5 to Postfix 2.9.4 on a machine running
Mac OS  X Tiger 10.4.9.  (Note: I can't update the operating system
since it's needed to run some legacy software. )   Postfix 2.9.4 appears
to require openssl 1.0.x and greater.  However, I discovered that the
legacy software depends on the openssl 0.9.8 libraries.  So I'm trying
to revert back to the last Postfix that used the openssl 0.9.8
libraries, which appears to be 2.5.5.

I've downloaded what I think is the last MacPorts Postfix 2.5.5 revision:

$ svn co -r 56520
http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/dports/mail/postfix

$ cd postfix

Here's the top of the Portfile, verifying I have the 2.5.5 version of
Postfix:

# $Id: Portfile 56520 2009-08-29 11:49:09Z ryandesign at macports.org $

PortSystem  1.0

name            postfix
version         2.5.5
categories      mail
maintainers     nomaintainer
description     Fast and robust mail transfer agent

Here's the openssl library I have installed:

stocks:/Users/crasch/src/postfix root# port installed | grep 'openssl'
   openssl @0.9.8o_0 (active)
   openssl @1.0.1c_0

However, when I attempt to build Postfix 2.5.5, I get the following
error (see below).  Much debugging output deleted for brevity; full
output available here:

http://pastie.org/5367007

Not sure why it says I'm not running as root, as I am running as root.

stocks:/Users/crasch/src/postfix root# whoami
root

Any suggestions?  Thanks for any help you may wish to provide.
DEBUG: Privilege de-escalation not attempted as not running as root.
DEBUG: configure phase started at Mon Nov 12 12:53:07 EST 2012
--->  Configuring postfix
DEBUG: Using compiler 'Mac OS X gcc 4.0'
DEBUG: euid/egid changed to: 0/0
DEBUG: chowned /tmp/macports to macports
DEBUG: euid/egid changed to: 501/500
Warning: setrlimit failed (1)
DEBUG: Executing org.macports.configure (postfix)
make: *** No rule to make target `makefiles'.  Stop.
shell command "make makefiles CCARGS="-DNO_PCRE -DUSE_TLS -DHAS_SSL
-I/opt/local/include -DUSE_CYRUS_SASL -DUSE_SASL_AUTH
-I/opt/local/include/sasl -DHAS_LDAP" AUXLIBS="-L/opt/local/lib
-R/opt/local/lib -L/opt/local/lib -lssl -lcrypto -lsasl2 -lldap -llber""
returned error 2
Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: shell command failed (see
log for details)
DEBUG: Backtrace: shell command failed (see log for details)
     while executing
"$procedure $targetname"
Warning: the following items did not execute (for postfix):
org.macports.activate org.macports.configure org.macports.build
org.macports.destroot org.macports.install
Log for postfix is at:
/opt/local/var/macports/logs/_Users_crasch_src_postfix/postfix/main.log